Do you prefer to spend your days outside, working in the woods, rather than being stuck behind a desk or in a cubicle? Are you currently enrolled in an environmental studies program and looking for related work experience? All Habitat Services is an ecological services firm specializing in the management and remediation of invasive species within the environment. Our home office is located in Branford, but you will travel to job sites throughout Connecticut. One day you can be in the forested hills of Northeastern Connecticut, hiking through the woods with a backpack. The next day you can be operating our MarshMaster through the tidal coastline at the mouth of the Connecticut River. We are seeking hardworking, motivated individuals to join our team for the upcoming season. We are looking for technicians who can start in April or May and work through August or September. Dates are flexible depending on applicant availability. We have positions available in Vegetation, Aquatic and Mosquito management. While these positions are typically seasonal roles, there may be opportunities for year-round employment.
As a Technician you will apply herbicides, algaecides and biological controls under the direction of a certified supervisor. You will be required to read and follow detailed directions and read and understand pesticide labels, Safety Data Sheets, and common hazardous pesticide signal words. Depending on your assignment, you may be asked to operate some, or all of, the following: trucks and/or tow trailers, boats, tracked all-terrain vehicles, UTVs, tractors, and application equipment. You will work outside in all types of weather conditions and will be exposed to varying levels of physical activity and physical extremes such as long periods of standing, walking, hiking over uneven terrain, crouching, and heavy lifting up to 50 lbs. Technicians also may be required to work extended hours periodically, including travel time to and from job sites.
Qualifications for consideration:
- You must be at least 18 years old.
- A high school diploma or equivalent is required. A bachelor’s degree or course of study in a related field such as Environmental Science, Biology, Forestry, Wetland or Lake Management is preferred, but is not required
- Plant identification and knowledge of invasive species common to Connecticut is helpful but not required.
- Strong basic math skills and an understanding of ratios is required.
- Effective communication, problem solving, organizational and customer service skills are required.
- You will need to have a valid driver’s license and acceptable driving record that allows you to remain insurable. You will be subject to a motor vehicle record check as a condition of employment. Some driving roles may also require passing of a DOT physical.
- Upon hire, you will be required to obtain a CT Commercial Pesticide Junior Operator’s Certificate and OSHA 10 certificate (paid for by the company)
- Experience with electronic reporting on an iPad is helpful (or willingness to learn). GIS and mapping experience are also helpful but not required.
- Flexibility to work extended hours as needed, especially during peak season.
- All offers of employment are subject to successful completion of a background check.
All Habitat Services, LLC is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.
Job Type: Full-time, seasonal
Pay: $18.00 – $20.00 per hour